Saturday, October 16, 2010

Portraits ♥ Sofi

The first two years of my college career were spent wandering the university, finding new quiet places to eat lunch around campus and racking up countless of hours spent in the library. A friend of mine once mentioned she belonged to a campus sorority and would often recommend me to look into it. I hesitated many times for a simple reason. The summer prior to my college enrollment I attended the mandatory orientation and met  many organizations. We were bombarded with flyers and quick facts about each club. I distinctly remeber seeing a group of girls wearing pink  and smiling. My friend grabbed my arm and pulled me towards them. We drew closer but the brochures never reached our hands. hmmm.... We smiled and they were still smiling, just not directly at us. "Maybe we were not the type of girls the organization was interested in or maybe, just maybe..." I justified some sort of reason in my mind.

It was no big deal really but the moment and, more importantly, the impression remained in my mind everytime my friend suggested I join a sorority. Then one early fall day I took her up on the offer. I was nervous of being somehow rejected again. I walked into the ballroom and saw so many girls eager to meet me and lots of pink - and green everywhere. I wondered if this pink was the same one from before, but it wasn't. Someone split me up into a group where we talked about ourselves and the members discussed the components of the sorority. There were two girls in my goup and one of them made an impression on me.

Sofia talked about sisterhood and what it meant for her. Now I am not quite sure how her story went verbatim but I distinctly remember (and will never forget!) her mentioning she was ill, her body was deteriorating internally, and her sorority sisters were there to take care of her - literally. Granted, I may have embellished the story a tad bit but the moral was what stayed with me. These girls were dedicated not only to the chapter but to its members. I knew then I wanted to part of this sisterhood and share the bonds of becoming a Delta Zeta.

As a collegiate, and now an alumnae, member I learned many valuable lessons. Sofia has taught many of those lessons. We both served on the Executive Board and she was always opiniated, like me. I like how she always states her view regardless if it goes against what others want or think. And she is always ready with a rebuttal, trust me. At a mere five feet something, Sofia stands tall and is one powerful woman. Tiny in size, her persona overshadows her small figure. In the sorority she was an executive, a leader. In real life, she is nothing less. She enjoys having a good time but has no problem talking business and getting it done.

Sofi, you are funny, beautiful and intelligent. Although I may very well be somewhat taller than you I look up to you. I know there are great things ahead of you and I am glad you have begun to take the steps in the path towards them. I wish you every success and all the happiness in the world because you deserve it. Thank you for being my friend and thank you for being my sister. May the Lord bless you always - I know he will.

 
She's most certainly thinking, "I am woman, hear me roar." I am sure of it ;)

These last two are an homage to Sofi's new and current job venture as an assistant to a great valley wedding planner. Sofi you are beautiful! Go out and conquer your piece of this world :)

Have a great weekend!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!!!
I hope you are having a wonderful day :)
Be blessed!